In the United States, we have an expression:
Silence is Golden:
This idiom is often used in circumstances where it is thought that saying nothing is preferable to speaking.
I would like to introduce you to a different an expression that I use frequently:
Communication is healthy!
Too often, we suffer in silence out of fear of saying the wrong thing, or even of saying anything. We feel embarrassed or shy. This is not healthy behavior; it can lead to stress or worse. Everybody needs someone they can talk to – about anything, yes even that! Yet, it is difficult to find someone we can trust to talk about our hidden thoughts and feelings. For some reason we may feel shame for thinking this way and therefore we keep our thoughts hidden within us, afraid to talk about what is troubling us. If this is you, I hope you will take a chance and talk to me.
· I have over 25 years experience helping people to open up about their feelings.
· I am a compassionate listener.
· I cannot be shocked, surprised or embarrassed.
· I want to listen and I want to help.
· You do not have to feel embarrassed or shamed by what you are thinking or feeling.
· It is natural and okay to want to have someone to talk to.
You may be reluctant to take this class, feel shy or embarrassed to talk about your feelings. However, experience tells me that you will feel better once you start to open up and share what you have kept hidden deep inside you. With communication comes freedom, a freedom to discover who you are. Please do not let your shyness or embarrassment prevent you from becoming the person you can and should be! You deserve so much more.