Hi! How are you? My name is Alena.
Although I'm Malaysian, I grew up in Brunei and have lived in Australia for the last fourteen years. I recently moved to Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia, for the short term.
I completed a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Environment & Sustainability at Monash University in Melbourne. I am also currently enrolled in a Master of Divinity at Melbourne School of Theology. Overall, my academic experience is pretty broad. Apart from Science and Geography, I also studied Japanese for a year and some Economics and Management units during my time at Monash.
Some random facts about me:
- I enjoy good food and a glass of red wine - particularly a South Australian Shiraz. I've had to switch to Shoju however since moving to Malaysia because red wine is more expensive here.
- I haven't had much opportunity to travel, but I recently went to Japan in June and absolutely loved it! I hope to return again soon :). (Below is a picture of Tokyo Station at night.)
- I like action and sci-fi movies and TV, and I watch alot of YouTube videos.
- I usually drink two cups of coffee everyday. I dare say Melbourne latte is still the best.
With regard to my professional experience, I was working in the Pathology/Medical industry for eight years in Australia and then became a freelance English tutor when I moved here. Currently I am teaching Conversational English with some Business English.
To some extent, this job presents an opportunity to meet new people from other cultures who have moved to KL. Most importantly however, I have the opportunity to help others and to help open doors for people that might otherwise not have been available to them without English.
My approach as a tutor:
- I keep my lessons flexible as I plan them around the student's needs and the context that they want to use English for.
- I like to encourage the student to ask questions and not be afraid of making mistakes since the lessons are a learning zone. By doing so also enables me to help the student identity errors and provide helpful correction.
- I also do my best to cater to the student's learning style - as best as can be done in a private lesson over the internet.
- Overall, the lessons are an opportunity for the student to practise and to become more confident in speaking English.