My name is Hernan (エルナン) I just moved to Tokyo from New York City. Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile!
A little bit about me
I lived in New York City for almost 30 years. I spent my childhood in Ecuador so I am a bilingual native speaker of English and Spanish.
I have a master’s degree in exercise science from the University of California in Pennsylvania. I am certified English teacher from Hunter College in NYC where I obtained my TESOL certificate (teaching English to students of other languages).
I have been a professional fitness trainer for most of my working life. I had my own training company in Upper East Side of Manhattan called Clinical Exercise and Fitness. Most of my clients needed exercise not only for health and fitness but also for rehabilitation. Teaching comes naturally to me and during my work as a trainer and teacher I always enjoyed my time with people. Watching my students improve and get better is a source of great satisfaction for me. I am also studying Japanese so I have a thorough understanding of the challenges of learning a new language.
My interests and hobbies
Being healthy and physically fit is very important to me. I enjoy strength training, weight lifting, swimming, running and hiking.
I enjoy learning Japanese martial arts. I practiced Judo through high school and college. I studied Kokushi-ryu Jujutsu in NYC and was recently promoted to Shodan, black belt.
I also study and practice Tibetan buddhism along with mediation.
I love studying languages and the different cultures of the world!
What are my lessons like?
- I love teaching! My lessons are professional and cordial, my aim is to help you achieve your goals with the English language.
- I strive to make classes fun and interactive. I provide lots of encouragement along with corrections in a positive manner within a supportive environment.
- I’m excited when my students show improvement! I like answering questions and I encourage them.
- Making mistakes is an important aspect of learning. In fact, making mistakes is the best way to learn. The more mistakes you make the better because that is when you are learning. Please feel free to make mistakes, there is no pressure :)
- I have a student centered approach to teaching. This means that everything I do from preparing for the lesson to conducting the class is done with the student’s goals in mind.
- I take a personal interest in the student which allows me to better understand what is needed. I bring to all my students patience, kindness, understanding and an ability to listen and to see things from the student’s perspective.
- My multicultural experience allows me to understand people of different backgrounds. It has help me teach with a flexible mind and a problem solving attitude that helps students achieve their goals.
What will I teach?
- English conversation for beginners, intermediate and advanced students.
- Spanish conversation for beginners or anyone interested in improving their Spanish.
Thank you again for taking the time to read my introduction. I hope that you will consider taking one of my lessons; I know that it will be a most productive and enjoyable experience for you!
Looking forward to meeting you!