Hannah Tutor Interview
- Q. Hi Hannah! Thank you for taking the time to do this interview. To start off, can you tell your students a little bit about where you come from/where you grew up?
A. I was born in Romania, but I grew up in Romania and the UK. My Romanian hometown is a beautiful ski resort area and the UK residence was in Northern Ireland in a small city by the Irish Sea.
- Q. Can you tell us a little bit more about your professional background? What got you into teaching, and what motivated you to keep pursuing this career?
A. I'm a journalist for Moody institute in Chicago Illinois USA and a counsellor on depression and anxiety. Teaching English and counseling has been my occupation for the past 9 years. I decided to dedicate myself to teaching and counseling because this is my calling and vocation. I love talking with people.
- Q. Have you always been a teacher? If not, what else have you been doing professionally? If yes, what are some highlights of your teaching career?
A. I used to work as a journalist for a radio station, I had a live show on air, but I decided to quit and dedicate myself full time to teaching and counseling 9 years ago.
- Q. What are you usually up to when you’re not teaching on Cafetalk? What are your hobbies and interests?
A. When I'm not teaching on Cafetalk, I like to spend time with my dog and my friends. We go out and enjoy our time together in a cafe or take a walk together. My hobby is tasting food all over the world.
- Q. A lot of students are probably curious about the atmosphere in your lessons. What can a student imagine a lesson with you to be like? What’s your teaching style?
A. The atmosphere in my lessons is relaxed, comfortable and fun. If it's an English lesson, I'm professional, kind and I give my students a clear feedback and motivation to study. If it's a counseling lesson, I'm empathic and a good listener.
- Q. Since you offer a variety of lessons, is there any lesson you can recommend in particular? Or can you give a quick overview of which lesson might be good for which type of student?
A. I recommend the FIND YOURSELF lesson for students who want to go on a journey to discover the meaning of life and understand the big picture, and learn how to deal with anxiety, stress and pain.
For English learners I recommend, depending on their needs, Question/Answer lesson which is an interactive fun exciting session of very interesting questions .....or IELTS / CALLAN METHOD for the students who prepare for studying abroad. I also have Idioms, grammar, phrasal verbs and free conversation lessons.
- Q. Finally, would you like to leave a message for your current and future students?
A. My message for my English learning students is: BELIEVE in yourself, be confident, keep working hard and never give up
For my counseling students: you are not alone ! There is hope and there is a way out of your anxiety and problems. Keep going, keep believing and never give up.