Representational art depicts subjects in a natural, recognizable way. You can understand what Representational art depicts.
Non-Representational art may not have a recognizable subject. The subject can look very strange!
The statue (彫像) on the left (左) is Representational. It depicts a woman.
The bowl (茶碗) on the right (右) is Non-Representational. It does not have a subject.
Realistic art depicts subjects believably and accurately. Realistic art looks real and lifelike!
Abstract art does not depict subjects in a natural, recognizable way. It can be hard to understand what Abstract art depicts.
The painting (絵) on the left (左) is Realistic. The old tree looks alive!
The painting (絵) on the right (右) is Abstract. The flowers are not lifelike. They look like anime (アニメ) characters!
Idealized art looks perfect. Idealized art is not historically or scientifically accurate. It depicts an ideal.
Stylized art combines Realistic and Abstract methods to make something new. Stylized art is often based on the tastes of an artist's culture.
The statue (彫像) on the left (左) is Idealized. The Buddha (仏) does not look like a real man. He is gold (金) and looks perfect.
The painting (絵) on the right (右) is Stylized. The artist combined Japanese and French methods to make a new kind of painting!
I hope you enjoyed learning some art historical vocabulary with me in this column! If you have any questions, please let me know.
I offer lessons on conversational and business/academic English AND art history. I look forward to having a lesson with you!
- Female Shinto Deity: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/5316
- Flameware Vessel: http://www.tokamachi-museum.jp/information01.html
- Ancient Tree Under the Sky: https://www.amazon.co.jp/Art-Spirited-Away-Hayao-Miyazaki/dp/1569317771/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544113512&sr=8-1&keywords=1569317771
- Kansei Gold: https://www.artsy.net/artwork/takashi-murakami-kansei-gold
- Amida Buddha: https://www.byodoin.or.jp/learn/sculpture/
- Maiko: http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100326?x=&y=&s=&d_lang=ja&s_lang=en&word=&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=&cptype=&owner=&pos=81&num=3&mode=detail¢ury=