By :- Dr Sunil Karkhanis, Lung Surgeon,
ex KEM Hospital, Mumbai.
My nephew, who is also a lung specialist now, graduated with a master's degree, and works in *Shenzhen Hospital, China.* He is being transferred to study *Wuhan pneumonia virus.* He just called me and told me to tell all of my friends *NOT TO WORRY MUCH ABOUT CORONA VIRUS* :
If you have a runny nose and sputum when you have a cold, you cannot be a patient of coronavirus pneumonia, because *coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough without runny nose*. This is the simplest way to identify.
Please tell your friends that if you know more about medical knowledge about this virus, you will have more *awareness of identification and prevention.*
This time, the *Wuhan virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed at a temperature of 30-35 degrees*.
Therefore, *drink more hot water.* You can tell your friends and relatives to drink more hot water to prevent it. *Go under the Sun for a long time*. It has been cold season recently, and *drinking hot water is also very comfortable. It is not a cure but is a good prevention for the body. Drinking warm water is effective for mostly all viruses*. Try not to drink ice. remember that.
Doctor's advice about coronavirus:
1. It is *pretty large in size* (cell is about *400-500nm diameter*), so *any normal mask (not just the N95 feature) should be able to filter it out*. However, when someone who's infected sneezes in front of you, it will take a great 3 meters (about 10 feet) before it drops to the ground and is *no longer airborne*.
2. When the virus drops *on metal surface, it will live for at least 12 hours.*
So remember if you come in contact with any metal surface, *wash your hands with soap thoroughly. Don't depend on the sanitizers.*
3. The virus can remain active *on fabric for 6-12 hours*.
Normal *laundry detergent should kill the virus*.
For winter clothing that does not require daily washing, you can *put it out under the sun for 4 hours to kill the virus.*
About the *symptoms of the pneumonia caused by Coronavirus*:
1. It will *first infect the throat, so the throat will have the dry sore throat feeling which will last for 3 to 4 days*
2. Then the virus will blend into the nasal fluid and drips into the trachea and *enter the lungs, causing pneumonia*. This process will *take 5 to 6 days*.
3. With pneumonia, comes *high fever and difficulty in breathing*. The *nasal congestion* is not like the normal kind. You will feel like *you are drowning in water. It's important to seek immediate medical attention* if you feel like this.
1. The most common way of getting infected is *by touching things in public*, so *you must wash your hands frequently*. The virus can only live on your hands for *5-10 minutes*, but a lot of damage can happen in those 5-10 mins (you may rub your eyes or pick your nose unwittingly).
2. Aside from washing your hands frequently, *you can gargle with Betadine Sore Throat Gargle* to eliminate or minimize the germs *while they are still in your throat (before dripping down to your lungs).*
Folks, *take extra care and drink plenty of water.*
©️ Dr Sunil Karkhanis, Lung Surgeon,
ex KEM Hospital, Mumbai.